Sunday, June 18, 2006

Schindler's List


I just finished watching Schindler's List on DVD. A whole 3 hr and 10 min to be exact, and what a fcuking good movie it was. Pardon my coarse language will you? It really was that good.

I was like 13 years too late. This movie was made in 1993, and I haven't had the chance to catch it until today. Can't blame me though, wasn't much of a movie junkie back then. And besides, I was only 12 years old! and in primary school!

There's something I also wanna admit. My eyes actually welled up and I think a few stray tears rolled down my eyes as I struggled to hold them back. It was towards the part where the Jews on Schindler's list came forward to pay their respects at his grave. Even though they were silent and respectful, their eyes beg to express much more, each person with their own story to tell on how the man has impacted their lives and given them a chance to live. Particularly moving was also how Oskar (Schindler) himself lamented that he could save a few more Jewish lives if he had sold off his materialistic possessions, right down to his gold Nazi pin on his suit.

How many of us are actually that selfless in today's society? I think most of us take things for granted too easily and didn't even have the basic courteosy to say a word of thanks for the most mundane of things done. Like in my office building, I always hold the lift for people if I happen to be standing near the buttons. When the lift door opens, I would stand there looking for a response and people would just walk past me without even saying a word of thanks! Save for that few, but mainly they're foreigners loh. Local Singaporeans don't give a rat's ass, really. But nonetheless, I'll still continue holding the door, cos' the few who acknowledged me make my day.

No comments: