Friday, March 21, 2008

Crossroads of life

Suddenly I'm standing at the crossroads of life again... The same feeling I had when I flunked my 'A's & had nowhere to go with that shitty piece of result.

Only difference now is, I had a job which I think I like & I can stay, but recent results show otherwise. Or maybe I'm not cut out for my current job afterall.

I have to say, it was not entirely due to her that I began to think like this. In fact, she is slowly coming to understand my career objectives. I don't blame her. I blame the society we live in.

To begin with, I think my pay is shitty but I think I can still bear with it for a year or two.

But when you think about the future, with all the financial burdens that comes along with it, something inside your head tells you it is high time to move. Because if you can't even fulfill your basic needs, how can you even perform for the company?

Having said that, finding a new job with "good" pay seems to be the next logical step. But finding a job that combines both elements of good pay & interest is like trying to locate a needle in the haystack. Sure you can get lucky sometimes, but I'm not that blessed. In fact, most people work to live, not live to work. Who am I to argue against convention?

I have lost the initial drive I had when I first started out, but I will still put in my best. Because the experience I gain, nobody can take that away from me.

Trust me when I say sales is not easy to do, especially in my line of work where technical knowledge I had to learn from scratch without much help. Being in sales expose you to a lot of things business management textbooks don't teach you. You end up being bruised, but I'm sure I can come out of this a lot more streetwise & business-savvy, and can learn faster than people who grow up in a comfortable working environment where the only instruction you get is the only instruction you follow. One is one, and two... is obviously two.

Just follow law, they say.

Anyways, I'm still torn between finding a job I like & finding a high paying job. What if the new job which pays me good money but I don't like? What if the new job which I like but doesn't pay me good money? Wah this really sucks man.

Right now, my head is telling me to conform by societal norms. Most people work to live afterall, using the money they earn to pursue a "happier" life & fill up the black hole that is sucking their very life away. I once heard this phrase which I find it very interesting: "You spend your youth chasing money, but once you found money, you will spend your money chasing youth". Which perfectly explains why filthy rich grey haired senior citizens are buying themselves posh feraris & harley davidsons.

But hor, have you ever thought, if you don't start to chase money when you are young, how are you even going to spend it when you don't have anything to begin with?? Unless you are born a fucking useless "ah sia kia", that one don't say lah...

Now that's the oxymoron in life.

No comments: