Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Finale to 2009

Time really flies, I think most probably this would be my last entry for 2009.

As it is life itself, full of ups and downs, happiness and sorrow, leaving one with mixed emotions. But the moral of the story is always to treasure what you have, and live like there is no tomorrow. Never, never leave a chance for regret.

2009 begins with a mission, to end the year with a bang on the career front, and build on the foundation of my future. Things started ok but it was really until the 2nd half of the year that the sales result began to show. From then on things look much rosier, and sales came by much easier, due largely in part to the amount of effort put in, and with the support of able colleagues.

In August, I finally proposed to my significant other after almost 3 years of dating. It was her birthday and we were staying at Sentosa for the night. Nothing fanciful and I just wanted to do it in the most sincere way possible with words from the bottom of my heart. I don't think anyone can refuse after what I said and did. Hehe.

Next up, the HDB dream. Months and months of waiting for Bedok Reservoir DBSS didn't materialise, that project is apparently put on hold due to unknown reasons. That would have been the ideal location for home. And so, Punggol Residences came by during this time. This BTO premium flat is located in the heart of the proposed town centre, beside the MRT/LRT and conveniently located near the proposed waterway in the new Punggol 21 landscape that was being envisioned by HDB. Competition was stiff for the 5 room flat I was balloting and it ended up being oversubscribed by 1:11.

Imagine the look on our face when we were listed as no. 64 in the queue. Better than striking toto I tell ya! Speaking of which, my car license plate no. strike 4D on 3 separate occasions. All these within a space of 1 year! And the best part is everybody won something during the 3 times the number came up. And I'm banking it to come up as first prize soon!

So we finally selected our unit on the 8th floor, its not too bad and we're waiting for the flat to be ready by 2013. Yeah long time if you asked me, but allows me to save up for the renovation costs & such. Its really a lot of money if you want things to be done up nicely. And the wedding of cos.

December was to be a sad month. First I lost my grandma, whom has been bedridden for years with deteriorating health. The only thing I can take comfort from it is, that she passed away peacefully and I managed to catch her for the last time. But why is it always when you have to wait till someone has gone, that you regret not visiting them more often? Even though she could not speak, I knew she was happy her "ah chao" was here to visit her, sometimes with his girlfriend. I also knew she could hear me everytime, trying to converse with her in my limited hokkien. My grandma was a tough woman who was widowed very early in her married life and had single handedly raise up 9 children who in turn gave her many grandchildren and great grandchildren who had the privilege to be around her in her lifetime. I think she could not ask for a more blessed life than this. Rest in peace ah ma.

Second was to receive news of the sudden death of one of my motorcycling acquaintance. A gung-ho, friendly and affable guy who is always willing to lend a helping hand to others. Even though we weren't very close, I could feel the loss of a guiding light to the motorcycle & adventure community where he was very active. It was a cruel way to take away the life of someone who had the whole future in front of him, and the irony was he wasn't even in a motorbike when the accident happened. I hope you've found peace up above my friend.

As I've mentioned, life is a rollercoaster ride but still, life must go on. We will all strive to be better people for ourselves, for our loved ones, and for mankind. I think love makes the world a much better place to live in. While in pursuit of your material goals, always take a step back and ask yourself if you still remember how to love the ones around you?

Happy new year everyone and may all of you have a great 2010 ahead!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like 2009 is a significant year for you. May the good luck be with you