Saturday, May 06, 2006

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!

I went for my first ever rally a few days back. The opposition's of course. The Worker's party to be exact. It says a lot when I actually bothered to ride my bike all the way after work to Ang Mo Kio to hear them speak. Did I mention that on the way up along the dastardly jammed CTE, in Zhang Ziyi speak: "Traffic was a killa..."? and Bob Du, my friend who puked for 3 consecutive days non-stop after consuming a few morsels of KFC fried chicken, almost nearly wetted his underpants while I was manuevring past small crevices between cars?

Anyway, I digress too much. Back to the General Elections, I had the chance to vote for the very first time after witnessing a walkover in my GRC in the previous GE due to someone not filling up some damn form. I was not about to let slip the chance to hear from the other side of the fence, despite not knowing some of their credentials and the ability to deliver on what they promise.

So many times, we deride opposition parties because of this one reason - simply because they are not good enough. How have we come to that conclusion? How DID we come to that conclusion? Did we even give them a chance - one chance to prove their worth? No, we didn't! Why did we think that way? Have we been socially engineered to believe that you either make it or you don't? And that there is no second chance at all in studies or at work? If you are not even given the chance, how then do you make things happen? Success and failure is nothing but a thin line, determined by that one chance to make it happen - how sad it is.

Truth be told, no one can really determine how effective the opposition is until they are given the chance to deliver in parliament and in managing their respective GRCs. It is something like a vicious cycle, and there is no better time to give the opposition the chance than now. If we keep saying that the opposition are not good enough, then when will they ever be good enough??! People tend to measure the level of effectiveness through the tangible things they do, but if the opposition can only do so much as to give rousing speeches at rallies, then I'm afraid the political environment in Singapore is doomed to deteriorate into an endless abyss.

I can only say so much as words. I would have liked to attend more rallies if I can. When words can strike a rapport with you and subsequently the crowd, the feeling is akin to seeing Singapore win... I mean be present in the World Cup. Apathetic and politically indifferent Singaporeans should attend at least one rally and experience for themselves. Nevermind the crowd, the soggy pitch and aching knee joints from standing 3 hours at one shot, it is well worth it I tell you.

Remember, YOU have a CHOICE...

No comments: