Tuesday, October 03, 2006

さようなら!

Today marks a new beginning for me, under my new boss, who's a nice guy also... blessed I am. But I won't forget my previous boss who personally handpicked me from among the score of candidates vying for this elusive position of mine. Of all people, he had to pick a greenhorn, me - a total freshie who has no prior experience and qualification to take up this post. I could have never hoped for a better job than this. One that allows me a large degree of freedom and the opportunity to travel around. In other words, my dream job man. And I have a great boss who's willing to teach me the ropes, and fool around when its time to let your hair down. He's almost like a friend to me, but I still respect him cos' he's my boss afterall. So when I first heard he was going to be posted back to Japan, I was sad naturally.

And it culminated to an end last saturday. But before that, we had one bomb of a dinner at Pan Pacific hotel for 2 table-fuls of us, including the logistics and technical members - solely organized by me of course. I had chosen the restaurant because he can see the downtown area and city lights for the last time, at least for now. Hehe. On saturday, after I sent my bike for her regular maintenance (damn the rain!), I went to pick up both my bosses, old and new for dinner. After which, we proceed to drive down ECP en route to Changi airport. How he must have had mixed feelings when driving down memory lane, this very familiar route he used to take while going on frequent business trips...

So when it was time for him to board the plane, the few of us (I was the only local) who bothered to come to send him off bade farewell for the last time. We exchanged friendly banter and wished him all the best to his career in Japan. For me, I gave him a firm shake of his hands and told him I will see him in Japan soon and asked him to remember to take care of me when he becomes ぶちょう (department head). With a laugh of course... not that easy in corporate Japan yeah? And his words to me was to show him I could raise my game to another level and in his words "show me your power". LOL.

As he trudges his weary frame through the immigrations, I could tell that those were with heavy steps that he took to leave paradise that is Singapore back to the drudgery of routine life in busy Tokyo downtown. One can only imagine how he is feeling at that point in time.

Soon after clearing the immigrations, he turned back to look at us for one last time. With a wave of his hands, and an almost expressionless face that is associated with all Kyushuu Japanese guys (strong and silent type according to him), he said goodbye... almost alien to me considering the fact that he's always had that funny rubbery look on his face.

Real men don't shed tears, I managed to bottle up my feelings well but I could feel that lump in my throat for having lost a good boss whom I could talk to with almost about anything.

Thank you for everything.

ほんとうにありがとうございました、堀さん!

No comments: