Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mayhem in Manila

Just came back from my first business trip to Manila. Damn, it was one helluva experience, gastronomically-wise, that is.

I was greeted by J and C at the airport, and proceed to hop onto his Honda CRV to visit potential customers in lovely Philippines. J cuts a funny character; warm and approachable and it wasn't long before we engaged in some less serious banter that wasn't work related. Anyway, that wasn't what I wanted to share with you guys, besides the hospitality of the Filippino people in general. It was THE food, people! Fear Factor style!!!

I ate food I never imagined I would ever even touch in my entire lifetime. But I did. And I'm so darn proud of myself.

First up, the locals call it "Baloot". It is actually boiled eggs, duck eggs to be precise... but with the freakin' foetus inside!!! OMFGWTFBBQ!!! J laughed wryly before he asked C to go get the baloots from a roadside stall. 4 eggs for like 10 pesos (S$0.30). I gulped in helplessness before C got back into the car with the eggs in hand.

J showed me how to eat it: Find the hollow tip of the egg, crack it, peel off the shell and there you have it - foetus, egg yolk, and the soup! Holy mother of Jesus Christ Virgin Mary, save me please!!! You're supposed to drink the "soup" or "chup" as we hokkiens call it. Damn did I hesitate for a good 5 minutes before I slurped that shit and lap it up to prove I'm not a wussy!!!

Hey, it wasn't that bad lah, taste like half boiled egg leh... Then, you have to peel off some more shell to reveal the *gasp* foetus!!! Wah liew, sick man!!!! poor little duckie cramped into the egg, fully developed features and get this: with FEATHERS loh!!!! Wah piang eh, I nearly wanna puke. I looked up at J in utter bewilderment, half expecting him to say: "Aww Kenny, I was only joking... you don't really have to eat this... Here, let me help you!" YEAH RIGHT, DREAM ON! And how the locals eat this stuff is that after downing the "chup", they slurped and swallowed the damn foetus into your mouth in one shot!!! Then they eat the egg yolk with blood veins running across them!!!

But hor, limpeh me didn't chicken out, go other country must try their "delicacy" mah. Cannot always eat chicken and pork, damn boring and sian one leh! Actually, I also don't know when my taste buds suddenly become so adventurous... HAHAHAHA... partly is because I don't wanna lau kwee lah. Scarly say all Singaporeans are humji! TMD! *angry* But I only drink finish the "chup" and eat a little bit of the blood vein yolk and the poor duckie head. SICK!!!

Second is the pig blood loh. Nabeh, J order quite a few local dishes during dinner and then without telling me what it is, I try them all and I kenna tricked!!! And hor, the funny part is, he ask me choose which dish I like best, and I chose the pig blood cooked with pork cubes!!! Cos' I really thought it tasted not bad, even though it looked nasty with its black color sauce!!! WTF!!! I'm damn stupid can!!? Now I bought one packet come back Singapore, got people come my house I can cook for them! Damn easy! Pour out the pig blood, heat it and stir fry with some meat and VOILA! Serves at least 2! Who wanna try???

Last one... finally, escargot, or should I say snails??! J told me it tasted really good, and lumped a few shells on my plate for me. Armed with a toothpick, and plenty of hesitation, I dig out the nasty little shit inside the shell and plug it into my mouth, at the same time consoling myself nothing can be worse than the sick foetus shit I ate. Dang! Machiam like SAI loh! I really mean it, taste like shit can?!! I'm sooo never gonna put another of this shit into my mouth again!!!!

*Puuiii puuuiiiii puuuiiiiiii!!!*

No comments: