Thursday, September 15, 2005

COURTEOSY BEGINS WITH YOU & ME... =)

There has been lotsa talk recently on remaking Singapore into a global city. One that has a vibrant culture and plenty of graciousness in the way we treat others. In essence, the X-Factor that enables us to be identified as one of the great cities of the world.

Let me just begin, we are far... I mean really far from it, considering the way we treat people in the service sector. I have noticed for myself many people (some of my friends included) treating waiters or the cleaning lady who clears up your table almost as though they are non-existant. The worse though, is behaving as though you as a customer, have every right to boss over them just simply because they are there to serve you.

Some people have almost made it into an art to behave as if the service people owes them a living everytime they step into their establishment. Every now and then, they would reply with a scowl whenever demands are not met and they behave like they are kings and demand the subjects bow before them, trying to make life miserable over the smallest of requests.
"Nabeh, where's my char kway tiao?"

Bloody hell, these low EQ people.

Whenever I eat out or have any contact with customer service personnel, I always make it a point to say thank you or a word of appreciation to the old auntie who ungrudgingly clears up so that I have a clean table to rest my elbows on, or the affable shop assistant who offers to check whether they still have that particular shirt in another size at another different outlet. I think it is only plain courteosy, right?

Maybe it is also true to a certain extent to say that how your boyfriend/girlfriend behaves towards these seemingly "insignificant" people determines how he/she is going to treat you and the people around you in the future once the honeymoon period is over.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That has always been my motto in life. If you want people to treat you in the way you want to be treated, treat others in the way you would do so if you were them.

No comments: