Wednesday, September 07, 2005

ME IS THE BIGGEST LOSER

Think of it, finding a job is in many ways similar to finding a girlfriend. One cannot just flip the papers and look for the ideal job. To begin with, the ideal job might never even existed for you in the first place. So, to stubbornly put all your money on getting that dream job of yours is tantamount to plain stupidity.

Remember, if you put all your eggs in one basket, chances are, if plans backfire (as they usually would for me), you will end up losing everything. Forget about saying that you are going to try your darnest best and assume you will get the job because you, well, simply put, think you are the best man for the job. It really doesn't work that way. What makes you think the company which you wanna work for isn't looking for somebody else in the first place?

You, as a job seeker, have everything to lose, and nothing to gain if you adopt this suicidal mentality that I have. In the end, who will have the last laugh? Not you and your stupid idealistic world, but the practical company who keeps an open mind on which employees to hire.

I would like to believe I'm a diehard romantic in the game of love, albeit a naive one. To stay focused on the one which my heart wants me to follow, and shut out all other choices that may appear before me. The rules of the dating game has changed in modern society today. And change it did. That is why I believe I'm still living in the olden days where being true in the pursuit of the significant other usually gets you rewarded in time to come. What was I thinking?!

Screw it. Things have taken a whole new perspective for me now. I will want to keep my choices open, but not to the extent of being a profligate cassanova(I don't think I can qualify as one anyway). I will still be looking out for my ideal girl, but I will not just be looking at the one tree when I can choose from the entire forest.

So, yes. I've already sending out applications for posts that is not even remotely connected to what I want to do. To go for interviews with an open mind, and see if something works out from there. If not, there's always another job opening to look forward to. If you never try, you'll never know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's 1 way out of your current dilemma - job and girlfriend. Enter monkhood. 身入空门, 立无欲。Well that's an escapist route, unless you really 看破红尘,大彻大悟。If not you better start looking at all the sources of jobs, newspapers, job agencies, friends etc... Jobs will not come seek you, neither will you know what you excel in until you start working. Something that you think you like or will do well may turn out quite the contrary. And remember, passion for the job can only be sustained if the pay keeps you alive. As for girlfriends, well I am pretty clueless too how to find one. I guess this boils down to what is known as 缘分. You may try and try, but you will forever be barking up the wrong tree, but love may strikes when you least expects it. Thinks the theory works like 4D n TOTO. Keep buying the same number and one day it will strike. If not you always have work and friends 2 kip you occupied till den.
李寻欢上

Anonymous said...

I thought this is not a very good time to get a girlfriend...

But anyway, my advice for the "girlfriend" part mentioned in the previous comment is that... don't try too hard. It seeks you. You don't go seeking for it. It's kinda elusive. The more you search for it, the more it won't come to you. Stand back, take things in your stride, and yeah, when you least expects it, it comes knocking at your door.

There's no deadline to finding love. Just take things easy.