Friday, October 21, 2005

The Long Ride Goodnight

Something just made me wanna hit the road to nowhere just now. It was already 11 plus and I was so sick of staying at home. Plus, I didn't really have the opportunity to really take a nice long ride to nowhere on nearly empty roads and highways before, and the weather is just perfect today.

Armed with my lumix and a short stand for taking night pictures, I donned my windbreaker and began to rev up the engine. I had to kick quite a few times before it finally roared to life, partly because it has been a week since I last rode, with the constant rainy weather being a huge obstacle.

First stop was Changi Airport via TPE then ECP from Pasir Ris. I had always liked the particular stretch of highway leading to the airport because it always evokes memories in me. Memories of going to Melbourne to study and play, memories of going to Shanghai to work, memories of coming back to this place I call home everytime I went abroad, and memories of sending off friends and relatives. All these events occupy a certain corner in my memory, often reminisced with much relish.


Parked along the road shoulder to take this picture. Hahaha... shiok man...

If you noticed the clock, its already 12:20am. Not that late, but the airport's pretty empty at this hour, save for the cleaning ladies and a few scattered travellers sleeping over for the night to catch an early flight. Reminds me of the days back in Sydney where I had to sleep at the airport too, just because the flight arrived at a rather late hour, and we couldn't find accomodation for the night.

Next was the Esplanade. Had a nice long ride down ECP towards the city area before exiting at rochor road. Took a left and within minutes, I'm at Singapore's premier architecture masterpiece. Or should I say eyesore? Heh...


Wah, the picture turned out not bad eh? That's cos I had my tripod mah, and its perched on top of a rubbish bin... (-_-") Actually the lumix's mega O.I.S anti-shake function is crap. All the hype about being able to reduce blurriness, my ass! It's all a marketing ploy! And I fell for it! *Puuii!!!* I'm sure people who bought the same model would agree too. Still haven't really figured out how to really bring out the true potential of this camera though. I'm pretty much clueless about what settings to tweak in order to shoot a really nice picture in all its grandeur.

The merlion and fullerton hotel at night. Compare with the picture above. Both were taken with the idiot-proof pre-selected night scenery setting. But why the vast difference??? Has it got to do with the light exposure from the surroundings? Even so, abit 夸张 right?

Took a few other random shots and I began to walk back to my bike which was parked by the side of the esplanade. The skies which has now ominously turned an eerie purple started to open up with a drizzle. I was thinking of taking shelter but heck! just ride lah, not as if its pouring buckets. So, I took the nearest exit to the highway just before Temasek towers and luckily, the rain did not persist when I reach marine parade soon after.

Anyway, the Macdonald's near my house has extended operating hours till 3am in the morning leh. Hmm, another place for supper, wonder if the other outlets also follow the same likewise. By the way, the chicken patty in the McChicken burger I ordered made me felt as though I was munching on a piece of rock. Bet the auntie must have dozed off while frying the patty. Ahh, that explains...

No comments: