Monday, October 10, 2005

Principles of Marketing

This is interesting. As usual, my entries about religion are bound to get some feedback. Hahaha. No, not that I mind at all. Negative feedback is also considered feedback mah. Besides, debating over the topic of christianity always helps kill time, albeit that at the end of the day, we will come to a deadlock eventually, with neither side refusing to budge. Hehehe...

Yes, I do know Boy's Brigade is an organization that teaches Christian values. The point I'm trying to make across is, one can be in such a group but yet come out of it learning other useful skills without actually becoming a Christian. I'm one example actually. I was in the boy scouts during my secondary school days but I managed to learn some nifty techniques like rope tying and such without being overtly influenced by subtle christian teachings mah.

Ultimately, the reason why such a social phenomena is happening in our schools today is because christianity is smart. It is one of the rare few religions that actually moves with the times. By applying simple marketing concepts, it has successfully turned itself into a religion that permeates into all aspects of life in society today.

By positioning itself (read: location, location and location) within the mainstream secular schools in Singapore, it has gained access to a never-ending pool of consumers where generations after generations, young impressionable teenagers will have the opportunity to know more about Christianity through these social entities such as the boys' brigade and such. These organizations are, so to speak, at the right place, right time and with the "right" product. Vital concepts which they have so brilliantly grasped in order to flourish in society today.

I also remembered saying that had if buddhist, taoist, islam or hindu influenced clubs or social organizations thought of doing this much earlier, the social landscape might have been very different today. Who knows right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

am i e one giving u the negative feedback.. ha i dun apologise for that. We have our different viewpoints la..wish that someday u see a different view.

sh

Khoo Kah Kiat alias K3 said...

sh: eh, negative feedback means in relation to my opinions being posted on my blog lah, I didn't mean to say I took offence to what you said... I'm not that kinda person okay?! and yes, the day I will see a different view of it is when jesus rides a motorcycle beside me in the flesh. Hahaha...

Terry: my son, you are right, you have to register under xanga before you can post comments because my post-it board is not functioning already...

Anonymous said...

Leave the choice of religion to individuals man, no one can claim right or wrong in this area, its just different viewpoints.

However I must stress that it would be bad for students to immerse in religion all the time and forget about other things.

Get out there and play hard cos life is short

Enjoy the Spring of Youth cos Youth is Explosive!

As Buddha says, as long as Buddha is in your heart, you do not have to pray everyday or chant sutras.