Tuesday, May 31, 2005

CONSPIRACY THEORY

I just realised that its a pretty darn small world after all. The 2 Singaporean interns at the company whom I'm working with - I actually knew one from way back in BMT, even though we're from different sections. The other, well, he was from TJC and he knew some friends from the same secondary school as I was, so we indirectly knew each other as well.

I would like to think that President Hu has something against me. I dunno why but I can't seem to access my blog address from here in Shanghai! It always redirect me to this website saying they cannot find my address... blah blah blah... and that's it! Its the same whether I try to access it from the office or from home! And the strange thing is I can't access any blogspot addresses too... But lucky though I could still type in my entries.

Came back home from work just now and had an insightful conversation with Uncle Jerry. He shared with me his experience and the success he came to identify himself with. Really thought provocating stuffs there, like for example on how I should really have a CLEAR idea of what I am going to be in 5 to 10 years down the road. Perhaps it is really time for me to wake up from this deep slumber and engage in a mindset shakeup in terms of the laid-back, stuck-in-comfort-zone mentality the modern and successful environment has brought to many in our generation.

In the past, people work because they need to. Now, they work because they wish to. It's not a matter of survival anymore. People simply job hop when they can't take hardship in the lightest form and to what extent does it reveal about their personality and character? My uncle's advice to me is very simple. Do lots of research on the company which hopefully, can grow along with your goals and ambition. Make sure you MUST really do what you enjoy doing without having to wake up every morning dreading to go to work. Lastly, pay is secondary. As he puts it, you are a fresh graduate asking to be taken in to learn the ropes, how in any way does it make any sense for you to demand a specified sum of salary from them when all you got is a piece of paper that says next to nothing about your ability to perform? Sounds logical to many, but people are just too obsessed with money. Not that I'm absolved from it as well, but the thing is, money is not everything... for now. Bottom line? Think long term. Even though you might have to make sacrifices now, it will more than pay back in time to come. And it definitely helps that I have no distractions for now. (read: no girlfriends)

Oh well, its close to 1am. Time to sleep. Still got to go to work tomorrow.

No comments: