Friday, May 27, 2005

FIRST DAY JITTERS

Got a taste of what its like to be in Shanghai. People don't give a damn about cutting queues. Experienced it first hand while queuing up to clear customs. They shove you like they hated you to the guts. If you thought singaporean aunties in the Great Singapore Sale was bad, this is worse. In fact, MANY times worse. Hahaha...

I wonder why they would even want to install traffic lights or draw the lines on the roads for? Cars were cutting into pedestrian crossings like nobody's business. You are supposed to look out for them, and not the other way round. Weird. Hahaha... its like a jungle out there. Every man for himself.

Forget about desiring any personal space here. Be it looking at gum to buy in convenience stores or standing in the train carriage to go to work, the locals there literally breath down your neck!Arrghh! hahaha...

Oh yeah, beware of pickpockets too... or so everyone seems to say. I'm not taking any chances though, especially when I lost my SIM card cum cash card on the night after dinner with the guys in somerset. I left it in the IU unit on my bike and its gone just like that. Why would people be so kian png and nothing better to do than to go around looking to make a quick steal?

The weather's just perfect. Hovering around the 20s. Cooling. Just like when I was back in Melbourne. But its expected to heat up in the coming weeks, so enjoy while I can.

The workplace's really awesome. Situated at the highest level (51st storey) in Raffles Tower. Yeah its built by the Singapore government and officially opened by PM Lee Hsien Loong. The interior and especially the lift look exactly like those you find in UOB Plaza. And wait till you get to the office. A panaromic 360 degrees of the entire city landscape of Shanghai. It really can't get any better than this. Pictures coming up soon.

First day at work today. Didn't do much leh. Went around introducing myself to everyone. Got my name card. Muahaha... impressive. Attached to marcom department and my first task was to call up this lady to change the booth we were assigned to. Oh yeah, I chose to dig my own grave by conversing in chinese with a native speaker but it turned out pretty well though. I could pretty much hold my own there. hahaha... eh, what do you expect from someone who took higher chinese at, get this, PSLE level before? Power right?? mai siao siao hor... hahaha... the rest of the day was spent reading up more on the company operations in China and the lonely planet guidebook which I got from karli, my shanghai correspondent cum 'guardian angel' hahaha... he's a pretty nice guy and he's gonna show me the way here so I have to depend alot on him... hehe... that's all for now... zai jian from shanghai!

2 comments:

gracie said...

hey jia jie!

you are in shanghai now?~ woh! will you be there for a long time? working eh?? write more in your blog eh?! catch up soon...tata!

regardsss,
grassie

gracie said...

hey jia jie!

you are in shanghai now?~ woh! will you be there for a long time? working eh?? write more in your blog eh?! catch up soon...tata!

regardsss,
grassie